Sometimes we think our garbage disposer broke down, when in fact it only needed some cleaning. What are the signs?
- If it smells bad, it may need to be cleaned.
- Your machine takes more energy to do the job. It probably only needs to be cleaned.
Even though it may seem that cleaning will do the job, you need to follow these safety precautions, Remember, there are sharp blades that may hurt you.
Do the following:
- Turn the power off. Make 100% sure, by testing if it is indeed turned off.
- Don’t put your hands in the machine.
- Pliers or tongs so that you don’t need to use your fingers.
- Rock salt and ice, or vinegar if you don’t have the salt.
- Lemon peels without pips.
- Never throw bleach in the disposer. It will damage the inside of the machine and you will have to buy a new one.
- Use luke warm water – never hot. It will melt the fat and jamming will take place.
Steps to follow regularly
If you want to prevent bad odors in the kitchen, you should clean your machine once a month. Google some videos for instructions on exactly how to clean it.